Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Who is Registered Engineer (R.E)?
"Registered Engineer" means a person who holds an accredited engineering qualification, whether working privately or in the employment of an engineering
public organization and is registered as such by the Council. Registered Engineer shall perform all professional engineering works except independently
2. Who is Professional Engineer (P.E)?
"Professional Engineer" means a person who holds an accredited engineering qualification and after obtaining a professional experience of five years,
whether working privately or in the employment of an engineering public organization, has passed the prescribed engineering practice examination and is
registered as such by the Council.
3. What is the difference between Registered Engineer and Professional Engineer?
A newly graduate is registered with PEC as Registered Engineer. A Registered Engineer can become Professional Engineer after completing five years
experience and passing engineering practice examination (EPE).
4. Is it necessary for an engineer to be registered with PEC?
An engineer cannot undertake any professional engineering works unless registered with PEC. Therefore registration with PEC is mandatory.
5. Does PEC register B.Tech?
The qualification of B.Tech is not equivalent to Bachelor of engineering. Therefore PEC does not register them as such. PEC only registers engineers having
accredited engineering qualification
6. What is the difference between B.E, B.S and B.Sc(Engineering)?
There is no difference. There are different nomenclatures which are used by different Engineering universities.
7. Can an engineer working or residing outside Pakistan register himself with PEC?
Yes, he/she can download application form from PEC website (www.pec.org.pk) and after completing requisite documentation may send to PEC HQ, Islamabad or
any branch office through foreign office.
8. Is it necessary to obtain renewal card if he has paid life subscription?
Yes, renewal card is issued for maximum three years. The purpose of issuing renewal card for three years is to give opportunity to engineer for updating of
his/her profile/record with PEC for correspondence or mailing.
9. What are necessary documents to be attached with application form for registration with PEC?
Following documents must be attached with application form
PEC application form dully filled and signed by applicant and attested by Dean/Head of department or any engineer registered with PEC
Copy of F.Sc degree &transcript
Copy of B.Sc/B.E/B.s degree & transcript
Copy of CNIC
10. Does PEC have the facility of online account?
PEC Online Account Info (View Details).
11. What one has to do after the expiry of Renewal Card?
After the expiry of Renewal Card, one has to necessarily renew his / her registration for any number of years not exceeding three at a time; to obtain a
valid renewal card by following the Renewal Procedure.
12. How does Pakistan Engineering Council maintain the information of Registered Engineers and Professional Engineers?
As per section 8 of PEC Act 1976, Pakistan Engineering Council maintains a Register of persons qualified to work as Registered Engineers and Professional
Engineers and update the same accordingly.
13. What is Renewal?
For renewal on line apply is made through the web Portal along with scan copies of the required documents.
14. What documents are required for Renewal?
The scan copies of the following documents are required for applying to online renewal
On line application form
15. When an Application for Renewal has to be made by Engineer?
It is on line on Web portal.
16. What is the Fee Schedule / Fee Requirement for Renewal of Registered Engineer?
Fee Structure for renewal of Registered Engineers
17. What is the Fee Schedule / Fee Requirement for Renewal of Professional Engineer?
Fee Structure for renewal of Professional Engineers
18. Is there any exemption from Fee for any Engineer?
A Professional Engineer who has attained the age of sixty years and is unemployed shall be exempted from the payment of annual renewal fee for the rest of
his life and his Renewal Card shall be issued upon his request.
19. What is the Renewal Procedure for Non-Resident Pakistanis Registered Engineers and Professional Engineers?
Renewal Procedure for Non-Resident Pakistanis Registered Engineers and Professional Engineers is same as those of resident Pakistanis Registered Engineers
and Professional Engineers respectively.
20. How many types of Renewal are there?
For Registered Engineer there is only one type of Renewal i.e. Yearly Renewal. However for Professional Engineer there are two types of Renewal i.e. Yearly
Renewal and Life Time Renewal.
21. What is Renewal requirement of Lifetime Professional Engineer Members?
Professional Engineers who opt to subscribe for Lifetime Membership are also required to obtain Renewal Cards by following the Renewal Procedure after
expiry; on “NO CHARGE BASIS”. It means they are not required to pay any Fee / Cost for Renewal purpose. However they have to renew his/her registration
22. How Engineers can apply for Duplicate Registration Certificate ?
Engineers can apply for Duplicate Registration Certificate manually with following documents
Mannual Application form avaliable on Web site
Copy Of FIR
Affivadate for Loss
23. What is CPD?
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) is the means by which members of professional bodies maintain, improve and broaden their knowledge and skills for
developing personal qualities required in their professional lives.
Pakistan Engineering Council under its Act has mandate for introducing and ensuring continued professional development activities amongst its growing
community of engineers and has devised a comprehensive framework titled Professional Development of Engineers (Bye Laws - 2008) approved by the Government
24. What is CPD Credit Point’s requirement for Registered Engineer?
For newly Registered Engineer, first year after graduation shall be a grace period and CPD will be applicable from second year onwards. A Registered
Engineer shall have to earn nine credit points in first three years cycle, twelve credit points in the next three years cycle and five credit points per
year thereafter for renewal of registration under the PEC Act.
25. Is CPD mandatory for Professional Engineer and what is CPD Credit Point’s requirement for them?
Yes, CPD is mandatory for Professional Engineers and existing Professional Engineers are required to obtain three credit points per year for the renewal of
the registration, with effect from July 2010.
26. How a Registered Engineer becomes a Professional Engineer and what is EPE?
When a Registered Engineer has attained a minimum of five years of practical experience in relevant field of engineering from a recognized engineering
organization or institution or service and has earned at least seventeen CPD credit points, he / she shall become eligible to apply for Engineering
Practice Examination (EPE) on the form available in CPD Section, which is for the assessment of the engineering competence, knowledge and skills of an
applicant engineer. A Registered Engineer may qualify for registration as Professional Engineer after qualifying the EPE, which may be arranged and
conducted through local or foreign services hired or availed for the purpose.
27. Is there any waiver from Engineering Practice Examination (EPE)?
The EPE is optional for a Registered Engineer but is an essential part of assessment for the title of the Professional Engineer. However Professional
Engineers already registered with the Pakistan Engineering Council are not required to appear in the EPE.