Roles and Responsibilities
The main functions of the Pakistan Engineering Council are:
- Promotion of engineering education and review of courses of studies in consultation with the Universities.
- Maintenance of a Register of persons qualified to practice as professional engineers and consulting engineers.
- Recognition of engineering qualifications for the purpose of registration of professional
engineers and consulting engineers.
- Removal of names from the Register and restoration to the Register of names, which
have been removed
- Levy and Collection of Fees from applicants for registration or temporary licenses and members.
- Laying down of standards of Conduct for the members.
- Safeguarding the interests of the members.
- Promotion of Reforms in the engineering profession.
- Management of the funds and properties of the Council. Exercise of such disciplinary
powers over the members and servants of the council as may be prescribed.
- Formation of such committees as may be prescribed; and
- Performance of all other functions connected with, or ancillary or incidental to,
the aforesaid functions.
Regulations for Engineering Education
The Council, under the PEC Act, has notified regulations for engineering education
in Pakistan to ensure improvement in the engineering education. These regulations
cover the following aspects:
Minimum standard of courses of study and practical training for obtaining graduate
and post graduate engineering qualifications to be included in the First and Second
Minimum requirement for the content and duration of courses of study as aforesaid
Minimum qualification for admission to engineering institutions offering course
of study and laying down minimum standard for holding admission examinations.
Qualifications and experience required of teachers for appointment in engineering
universities, college, and institutions.
Minimum standards of examinations and duration and standard of practical training,
for securing recognition of engineering qualifications under PEC Act, and
Qualifications and experience required of examiners for professional examinations
of recognized engineering qualifications.
The council has introduced annual system of examinations in all engineering universities/
colleges. However, some universities are following semester system. The regulations
have defined the conducting of examination by panel of external examiners; the duration
of courses and the annual marks have been proposed so that the merit is fixed on
four years examinations. A minimum period of 4 academic years of studies has been
fixed for a candidate to obtain Bachelors degree in any recognized branch of engineering
university. The qualifications of engineering teachers have also been specified.
Recognition of Engineering Qualifications
Recognized engineering qualifications granted by engineering universities, colleges
and institutions in Pakistan have been included in the first schedule of the Act.
The Council has been empowered to recognize new engineering qualifications granted
by engineering universities, colleges and institutions in Pakistan, which are included
in the first schedule of the Act by notification in the Gazette of Pakistan Recognized
foreign engineering qualifications are included in the second schedules of the Act.
The Council may recognize engineering qualifications granted by any foreign engineering
institutions not included in the second schedule by notification in the Gazette
of Pakistan. In particular, Engineering qualifications awarded by the following
universities / institutions are acceptable as recognized engineering qualifications
by the Council in accordance with the provision of the Act: -
- American Universities / Institutions: Accredited by the Accreditation
Board of engineering & Technology. (ABET). New York, USA
- U.K. Universities/
institutions: Accredited engineering degree programs in the list issued by Engg
Council of UK in 1993 and their subsequent updated versions.
- European Universities / Institutions: Accredited engineering degree programmes as per index published
by the European Federation of National Engineering Association (FEANI) Paris. France
in the year 1992 and their subsequent updated versions.
- Canadian Universities/ Institutions:
Accredited engineering degree programmes in the list issued by the Canadian Engineering
Accreditation Board in the year 1995 and their subsequent updated versions.
- Australian Engineering Universities / Institutions:
Accredited engineering degree programs
as per Australian engineering courses recognized by the institutions of Engineers,
Australia in the year 1994 and their subsequent updated versions.
Inspections of Examinations
The Council appoints inspectors to attend the examinations held by the engineering
universities/colleges for the purpose of granting engineering qualifications which
are recognized engineering qualifications or in respect of which recognition has
been sought The inspectors report to the Council on sufficiency of the examination
which they attend and on the course of study and facilities of the teaching provided
by the universities / colleges or on any other matter in regard to which the council
may require them to report.
With-drawl of Recognition
The Council has been assigned the power to withdraw recognition of a qualification
in case it is proved that the qualification does not impart knowledge and skill
requisite for the efficient practice of engineering.